Vanilla berry porridge (vegan)

17 July 2014

To my mind, this porridge is nowhere near as good as my chocolate porridge, but I've been lead to believe that there are some people in the world, among them my brother and my husband, who actually prefer vanilla over chocolate. While I firmly believe this to be a very weird preference, they are family, so I must respect their preferences.

Until such a time as I can persuade them of the superiority of chocolate, here's a vanilla breakfast alternative.

Vanilla porridge with strawberries

Vanilla berry porridge

Serves: 1

Ingredients

  • 1 large overripe banana, or 1.5 small ones
  • Generous pinch shredded coconut (about 1 tablespoon)
  • Scant 1/3 cup rolled oats (you may want more if you have a large appetite in the morning)
  • 1 to 1 1/3 cups soymilk, or to desired consistency, I like mine pretty loose
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla 
  • a few grains of salt
  • Small handful of berries to top

Method
  1. Mash the banana
  2. Mashed banana
  3. Mix in coconut and oats
  4. Mashed banana with oats and coconut
  5. Mix in soymilk.
  6. Vanilla porridge, pre-cooking
  7. Cover with a plate, and microwave for 1 minute, then wander off and do something, turn on the computer, check blog feeds, get dressed or whatever, for about 3-5 minutes.
  8. Mix thoroughly, then return to microwave, and repeat step 4.
  9. Stir in vanilla
  10. Top with strawberries

No comments:

Post a Comment