Las Vegan Cafe - a review

09 July 2014

Las Vegan Cafe on UrbanspoonWhile picking up my exciting new 100% vegan shoes, I stopped in to have lunch at the nearby Las Vegan Cafe. There are actually two shops that share the premises, the cafe at the front, and Vegan Style, a (mostly) shoe shop at the back. This was dangerous. I visited Vegan Style while I was waiting for my food, and ended up falling in love with a pair of teal Mary Janes. I couldn't justify buying (and carrying) two pairs of shoes in one day, but I think I will have to go back for them... I've gone so long without buying shoes, I can buy these too, right?

Anyway, back to the food. Overwhelmed by the choices on the menu (i.e. overwhelmed by having choices), I asked for recommendations, and ended up getting crispy rice balls with satay sauce. At $12, it was one of the most expensive items on the menu.


It tasty enough, but nothing to get excited about. I'm going to give it a rating of 5/10. I'm not sure if that's too harsh, but I feel that it was around the minimum I would expect from a meal out, and as I'm new to this reviewing business, I don't want to start too high. The staff were friendly enough, and the cafe space was pleasant enough, though not particularly inviting.

I was also excited to order a hot chocolate, something that I very rarely buy any more since I'm not keen on grilling shop people about whether or not there is milk in the chocolate powder. It was, however, quite disappointing. I think it was made on almond milk, at any rate, it tasted very watery.

On the way out, I allowed myself to be tempted by a muffin - strawberry and lime. Despite the exciting sounding flavour combination, the muffin was less so. It was rather dry, and although I was excited to be eating an actual bought vegan muffin, I have made better (though admittedly not of that flavour). Actually, that seems like a good challenge, strawberry and lime muffins are now on the radar, as soon as I unpack my muffin tins, as soon as we actually move...

Overall, the food was unexciting but acceptable. I'll probably still give them another try next time I'm in the vicinity.

No comments:

Post a Comment