Rich chocolate brownies with raspberries

24 June 2014

Game of Thrones is over for the year. Ok, so the last episode came out over a week ago, but evening work and the fact that we have a friend with an awesome TV set-up, means that we've usually watched Game of Thrones on the Friday rather than the Monday night.

To ensure we had something to lift our spirits after what was bound to be another depressing episode, I made my favourite (so far) chocolate brownie recipe. Mattie is truly a culinary genius. These are not just good vegan brownies. They are excellent brownies by anyone's standards, that also happen to be vegan. Even so, however, I couldn't resist changing them up a bit.


Instead of the walnuts, I stirred in about 1/3 cup frozen raspberries, and a handful of un-melted vegan chocolate chips, just to give it a bit of extra chocolateyness. Make sure you use frozen raspberries. I let mine partially thaw, and they kinda disintegrated when I mixed them in. I also left out the coffee.


The extra chocolate is a must, and the raspberries were a were a successful experiment. Rich and chocolately and fudgey, with raspberries. So said everyone, although I am still secretly dreaming about finding a way of making the brownies even richer...


As an aside, the last time I made this recipe, I didn't have any vegan butter, so I subbed in coconut oil, and while they were delicious, they were also a bit greasy. Do not use coconut oil, use vegan butter. If you can't be bothered making vegan butter, you can get away with using a combination of vegan margarine (such as Nuttlex), and coconut oil, which is what I did the first time I made these. You might also get away with pure Nuttlex, even though the instructions explicitly say not to... If you try that, let me know how it works.

1 comment:

  1. Raspberries sound like such an awesome brownie addition Lucy! I can't wait to try that. So glad you like the brownies! I like the idea of pairing chocolate to Game of Thrones. Now I have to wait until next season. Doh!

    ReplyDelete